Some places offer very specific and fancy deviled eggs recipes. This isn’t that. There’s a good chance that nobody in the whole world eats enough deviled eggs to need a variety of recipes for them.
This is a classic deviled eggs recipe. This is what people think of when someone says deviled eggs.
You don’t need one of those fancy deviled egg plates, but it would be nice.
Deviled Egg Ingredients
This recipe makes twelve deviled eggs out of six eggs. If you need more, double it up and make it a whole dozen.
- Six peeled hardboiled eggs
- Between a quarter of a cup and a half cup of (preferably) light mayonnaise
- A half teaspoon of dry mustard
- A half teaspoon of white vinegar
- A quarter teaspoon of each salt and pepper
- And paprika, to make your finished product look all deviled-eggsy
How to Make Deviled Eggs
Deviled eggs are actually extremely easy to prepare. Once you have hard boiled your eggs (check out this guide on hardboiling eggs perfectly if you’re not completely confident) there is only a few steps to make your deviled eggs.
Cut your hard boiled eggs lengthwise and remove the cooked egg yolks. They should pop out very easily, if you did a good job hard-boiling the eggs.
Throw the egg yolks in a bowl and add your dry mustard, white vinegar, and your salt and pepper.
Start mixing in your mayonnaise – you should start with a quarter of a cup. A quarter of a cup of mayonnaise will give you a fairly firm consistency, so feel free to gently add more to the mixture to get a consistency you are happy with. There is no hard rule, but if you go over half a cup, you have more than likely gone too far.
Once you’ve mixed everything together you can re-add it to the egg white shells. Put it where you removed the yolks from.
Place your almost-finished deviled eggs onto a plate, sprinkle them with paprika, cover them up, and put them in the fridge. Let them cool for a few hours and you’re done.
Tips for Making Deviled Eggs
- You can add horseradish or some chopped green onion or basically anything you want. But then that wouldn’t be classic, would it?
- Deviled eggs get a bit better when they’ve been given a good amount of time to cool. It’s best practice to make them the night before you plan on eating them.
This is a simple homemade recipe for sweet and sour sauce. Sweet and sour sauce is used primarily for chicken or pork dishes, but can also be used for fish as well.
This recipe seems a little bit simple, and isn’t 100% authentic, but it is a delicious sweet and sour sauce you can make in about ten minutes.
Pork not included.
Sweet and Sour Sauce Ingredients
To make about two cups of sweet and sour sauce you will use:
- Three quarters of a cup of sugar
- Two thirds of a cup of water
- A third of a cup of white vinegar
- A quarter cup of soy sauce
- About a tablespoon of ketchup
- And about two tablespoons of corn starch
To make more sauce, just multiply the ingredients. Don’t worry too much about being exact with your math. Minor variations taste pretty much the same, anyways.
How to Make Sweet and Sour Sauce
Bring a saucepan to medium-high heat and start combining ingredients.
It’s usually easiest to combine the water, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup and corn starch first, and slowly stir in the sugar. It’s quite a bit of sugar and you want to make sure it fully dissolves to ensure your sauce ends up delicious.
While you’re stirring, your mixture should gradually come to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, slightly reduce the heat. Continue simmering until it starts to thicken.
The cooking time should only be about five to seven minutes, but going a bit longer is okay to get a thicker sauce.
Tips for Making Sweet and Sour Sauce
- You can substitute out the white vinegar for rice vinegar if you want to get all fancy and authenticy, but most people prefer the familiar taste of white vinegar.
- Don’t worry if the sauce continues at a rolling boil when you reduce the heat during the cooking time. It doesn’t end up “burnt” unless you really, really overdo it. The higher the temperature while you simmer it, the quicker it cooks. Bringing it down a bit further is probably the best plan, though.
This homemade jalapeno hot sauce is a very basic hot sauce recipe that you can make on the stove-top.
This recipe is fairly similar to this habanero hot sauce recipe, but jalapenos are much milder and easier to eat in greater quantities.
You will need a food processor.
Hot Sauce Ingredients
For this recipe you will need about twenty fresh jalapeno peppers.
You will also need fresh garlic and onion. A little bit of salt and vinegar will be required as well.
You will also need vegetable oil for preparation, and some water. Hopefully you know where to find water.
How to Make Hot Sauce
Chop up about twenty fresh jalapeno peppers. You can slice them, dice them, whatever you’d like. They will be run through a food processor later, anyways.
Chop up three to four garlic cloves and a medium onion as well.
Coat a medium saucepan with a bit of vegetable oil and heat over high heat.
Combine the sliced peppers, garlic, and onion and saute for four or five minutes. Add about three quarters of a teaspoon of salt while sauteeing.
Add two cups of water and cook the mixture, stirring often. After about twenty minutes, remove from heat.
Once the mixture cools to room temperature, pour everything into a food processor and puree. Slowly add one cup of white vinegar during the pureeing process.
And you’re left with a delicious jalapeno pepper spicy hot sauce.
Tips for Preparing and Using Hot Sauce
- If you pour the mixture into a sterilized jar it can be kept in the fridge for four to six months.
- For a thicker sauce, process less. For a runnier sauce, increase the amounts of water and vinegar slightly.
- For a spicier hot sauce, try out this habanero hot sauce recipe instead.
- For something more “mass-market” approved you can check out our knock-off recipe for Frank’s Red Hot.
Coleslaw is basically just shredded cabbage in dressing. There are two distinct types of coleslaw, vinegar and creamy. This is a very quick and simple recipe for a homemade vinegar based coleslaw.
This is probably not the “official” McDonald’s recipe for Big Mac Sauce. The most convincing evidence is that it actually contains mostly real ingredients.
But it tastes surprisingly similar. Make your own homemade hamburgers and try out this recipe for big mac sauce. See how it turns out.
Somehow, a recipe created over a hundred years ago by the “Frank Tea and Spice Company” is dominating the entire hot sauce market and has been for a surprisingly long time. This thin, vinegary hot sauce has become the standard to beat. Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.
But if you use a lot of hot sauce, you should make something better. Not only is it easy to make a thicker more delicious hot sauce, but you will actually have control over how hot you choose to make it.
Hot Sauce Ingredients
For the base of the recipe you will need:
- orange habanero peppers
- jalapeno peppers
- an onion
- some regular white vinegar
For flavor you will want:
- mustard powder
- a bit of salt and pepper
How to Make Habanero Hot Sauce
This recipe starts out with an easy part. All you need to do is put everything in a blender or a food processor. Drop in a small onion, 5-6 habenero peppers and 5-6 jalapeno peppers.
Pour in two cups of vinegar.
Now, you can flavor this stuff almost any way you want, but an easy guideline is:
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves
- Quarter teaspoon of oregano
- Quarter teaspoon of cumin
- Half teaspoon of mustard powder
Now blend it all up until its all creamy and smooth.
Add the blended mixture to a heated saucepan, bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer the whole thing for about fifteen to twenty minutes and sprinkle in some salt and pepper to taste. This process ensures the flavors will be nicely mixed and you end up with a consistent sauce.
The best part is, because it’s made with vinegar, this stuff will last quite a while. So you can make it and use it like you would any other hot sauce.
Tips for Cooking Habanero Hot Sauce
- Substitute a portion of the vinegar with fresh lime juice for a citrus variation.
- Adjust the heat by substituting out some of the jalapeno and habanero peppers with regular green or red peppers.
- Adding a teaspoon of sugar can help make the hot flavor linger longer.
There is probably a hundred different variations on cold macaroni salad recipes. This one is a very simple macaroni salad that you can experiment with until it’s perfect. Make it normal the first time, alright?