Lemon and garlic tend to be the easiest flavors to match with shrimp to end up with a delicious end product. This recipe can be prepared in about thirty minutes, but much of that time is preheat time.
This recipe for a baked shrimp in a lemon and garlic sauce is essentially a slight modification of our pan-fried garlic butter shrimp recipe.
Serve with rice. Or don’t.
Ingredients for Baked Lemon Garlic Shrimp
This recipe is based on two pounds of shrimp, which should be more than enough for a family or one or two very hungry people.
You will need:
- Two pounds of raw (shelled and deveined) shrimp
- A cup of butter
- Two to three tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- A tablespoon of parsley
- A tablespoon of chopped, fresh garlic
- Optional: one to three tablespoons of Dijon mustard, for an added zip
How to Bake Shrimp (in a Lemon Garlic Sauce)
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit or 230 degrees Celsius.
While your preheating your oven, place a cup of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add your lemon juice, parsley and garlic to the butter and stir it around until the butter is completely melted. If you choose to use Dijon mustard, you would add it now as well.
Arrange your shrimp in a baking dish. Any dish will do. Even a cookie sheet covered in foil if you’re really desperate. Pour your melted lemon garlic butter mixture overtop of the shrimp. Try to get it on every piece. Full coverage is kind of important.
Bake the whole thing in the oven for about twelve to fifteen minutes.
Tips for Baking Shrimp
- You can tell the shrimp is about done when it turns pink and opaque.
- Always buy shelled and deveined shrimp. It’s just terrible doing that part. Trust me.
- Substitute the lemon juice out in place of lime juice for a softer citrus flavor. You can follow our guide on how to get more juice from a lime and actually only use a lime or two for the whole recipe.
- A good casserole dish would be the best thing to use for baking the shrimp in this recipe.
This simple recipe for sweet and sour chicken doesn’t use any crazy Chinese ingredients. It’s basically the american-ized version of the dish. It’s also very delicious.
This recipe is intended to be served with rice, but there is no rice in the recipe. Serve it with rice anyways.
This sweet and sour chicken recipe uses this simple sweet and sour sauce recipe. An abridged version will be included below to keep everything on one page, but the sauce can be used for many other dishes as well.
Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Chicken
For this recipe, you will need:
- Four boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- One red pepper
- One green pepper
- Some finely chopped ginger
- Five to seven garlic cloves, depending on how much you love garlic
- A couple of onions
- Some pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Sweet and sour sauce
- Optional: some sliced pineapple (usually from a can)
How to Make Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken
Bring a frying pan to medium heat and start cooking your chicken.
While your chicken is cooking, chop your red peppers, green peppers and onions into fairly large pieces. Big chunks of each is the general standard for sweet and sour chicken.
Finely chop your garlic cloves and your ginger.
While your chicken is (probably) still cooking, start preparing the sweet and sour sauce.
- Three quarters of a cup of sugar
- Two thirds of a cup of water
- A third of a cup of white vinegar
- A quarter cup of soy sauce
- About a tablespoon of ketchup
- And about two tablespoons of corn starch
In a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
With your chicken (probably) about cooked, add a few tablespoons of vegetable oil to a frying pan and begin cooking your peppers, your garlic, and your ginger. Once the peppers have started to soften, add your onions. Cube up your chicken breasts and add those as well.
Pour your sweet and sour sauce overtop and allow to simmer for a few more minutes, and you’re done.
Tips for Making Sweet and Sour Chicken
- This recipe is written in an order that allows for the cooking times to align with your prep time. You can pre-make the sweet and sour sauce if you consider it simpler.
- If you choose to use the pineapple, add it at the same time you re-add the chicken.
- Some recipes suggest you cook the chicken along with the peppers. This one doesn’t. It’s for health reasons and for simplicity’s sake. Do what you will.
- Serve with rice.
Sweet potato french fries are baked, which makes them a slightly healthier option than deep fried french fries. They’re also delicious. This is a very simple recipe for making sweet potato fries.
Everything is better with cheese on it. Most things are better with bacon. This recipe for macaroni and cheese uses bacon to make it better. So make it.
Pan-searing salmon is the quickest way to prepare salmon – short of microwaving it. Cooking salmon on the stove in a frying pan is one of the easiest ways to prepare a quick, healthy, delicious meal.
Coleslaw is basically just shredded cabbage in dressing. There are two distinct types of coleslaw, vinegar and creamy. This is a very quick and simple recipe for a homemade vinegar based coleslaw.
Cooking roasted asparagus is yet another “set it and forget it” recipe. You turn on the oven and you’re practically done.
This is only one of many ways to cook asparagus, but it’s probably the best.